Wednesday 13 April 2011

Black Bean Salad - 4 points



This is one of my favorite salads for summer and with spring in the air I had to make it for the first time in 2011.  I've found a few variations on this salad I'd like to try, but this is the basic recipe.  Leftovers are great, not only on their own, but I've used it on tacos, in taco salad, and on tostadas or nachos.

For Weight Watchers, 4 points for a 1/2 cup serving.

What you need:

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, juiced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or herb mix
(in place of oil, vinegar, and herbs, you can substitute 1/3 cup Italian dressing)


What to do:

1. To mixing bowl add black beans, corn, onion, tomato and pepper.


2. Add jalapeno pepper (can do 2 if you like more spice), garlic, garlic salt and herbs (if using).


3. Add olive oil and vinegar (or Italian dressing) and fresh squeezed lime.



4. Add cilantro and mix. 



5. Serve and top with avocado (the avocado doesn't keep well and goes mushy in the leftovers, so I just prefer to add it when serving).  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheryl, I stopped by to visit, say hello and thanks for the add on FB. You have a Great blog! I love the name and your photos are crisp with good lighting. The bean salad is so colorful. And this one looks particularly delicious. I write a blog on Food as well. But with a relationship flavor. Mostly told through stories. Mostly because of my therapist background. Please visit. Maybe Follow if you like. That would be cool. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...