Sunday 3 April 2011

Apple Cinnamon Scones



I made scones for the first time a few weeks ago, using a recipe from Fine Cooking.  They turned out wonderfully, but I've been wanting apple cinnamon ones, so I've adapted the recipe!  The original recipe had banana it in, and I've left it in since it didn't really have a banana flavor, and I don't want to affect the texture by taking it out! 

I found an apple peeler/corer/slicer in my sister's cupboard, and after looking at it a bit puzzled, I manged to figure out how it works for preparing the apple.



What you'll need:
2 cups all-purpose flour; more as needed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2-1/4 tsp baking powder
3/8 tsp table salt
5-1/2 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 small ripe (but not mushy) banana, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/2 cup)
1 apple, cored, peeled and diced
1-2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. heavy cream; more for brushing 
cinnamon and sugar to dust (optional)

What to do:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 Celsius.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or in my case, a silicone mat).
2.  In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.


3. With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until a few pea-size lumps remain.

4.  Add cinnamon to the chopped apple

5.  Stir in the banana and apples.
6. Add the cream and mix just until in comes together. I added a bit of extra of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg, just at the end of mixing.
7. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat gently into a circle about 1 inch high.

8. Using a chef’s knife or bench knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges. Transfer to the baking sheet, spacing the wedges 1 to 2 inches apart.  Brush the tops with cream, and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

9.  Bake until the tops are golden, 19 to 25 minutes, rotating halfway through baking for even browning. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...